Getting a tattoo is not an easy task. As a person who once wanted to have tattoos over my body, two things that scared me the most were the fact that it was going to be permanent, so no room for changes! The second was that it was painful. While for the former, there are various means of getting it removed or even altered, pain is universal. It is one of the major reasons that restrict us from getting inked over our bodies.
For this, a tattoo numbing cream is the answer to your anxieties. It is a cream that is applied to the skin before getting inked. It temporarily relieves the body of the pain and allows you to remain calm while you are getting tattooed and also allows the tattoo artist to complete the task successfully.
As everybody subjectively reacts to pain, there are different ways how a numbing cream shows you the results. It generally acts as an anaesthetic for the area where the tattoo is being inked.
- Nerve Deadeners– It contains lidocaine which temporarily deadens the nerves in the area, thus, reducing the pain. It is best used for sensitive areas like the neck. One can also mix it with other blockers to get better results. However, reapplication would be required during the tattoo session as the cream is over the skin while the needles go below the skin’s surface.
- Nerve Blocking – It contains tetracaine that blocks some pain. However, it completely doesn’t block its ability to cause pain. Thus, these are mixed with nerve deadener for the best results.
- Vasoconstriction-: Above the three, it is the fastest agent as it constricts the blood vessels. It contains epinephrine which means that it not only restricts the flow of blood but also considerably reduces the pain. Thus, that minimises bleeding and swelling while offering a long-lasting effect. However, it can alter the tattoo as well.
Before we dwell on the tattoo numbing products you can look into, make sure to learn to use them in the right manner. Remember, any mistake while applying the tattoo numbing cream would make the product ineffective. Here is a step-by-step guide to help you use a tattoo numbing cream.
- Select the right product – Anything that would affect your skin requires sufficient research. It is not only about the tattoo numbing product but understanding your type of skin and the size of the tattoo that you want to be needled. Refrain from going to your local stores and buying the shelf products as they might give you allergic reactions or be inefficient with their function.
- Wash and Dry – Washing your respective skin are essential before applying the numbing agent. It is necessary to remove the germs from that skin. Use your antibacterial soaps for better results.
- Apply the Numbing Cream– Dry your skin and instantly apply the tattoo numbing cream over the respective area. Wear latex gloves before applying any numbing product on your skin, otherwise, your fingers will go numb. The type of the product would determine the waiting period however, it takes at least 45-60 min to work effectively.
- Wash the Cream and start Tattooing – It is necessary to wash your skin before beginning to tattoo the skin. Not removing it would interfere with the ink and can cause distress and mishaps with the tattoo as well.
- Re-Application – The numbing cream can wear off after some time which can lead to the client re-experiencing pain in between the tattooing session. It is better to apply numbing sprays after 15-20 min so that it doesn’t interfere with the tattooing session and remains pain-free.
However, the process isn’t as linear as one would suppose it to be. Listen, hear me out! Using a numbing cream is a controversial topic amongst tattoo artists and the extensive procedure of applying and reapplying the cream and still feeling pain while tattooed is exhausting. Moreover, it might be effective on certain body parts while the same product could be reactionary on sensitive skin.
However, the list doesn’t end here! Following are the reasons that make tattoo artists averse to the very idea of applying tattoo numbing cream.
- Pain is essential to tattooing – Pain is very much an essential feature of getting inked over the body. It is an adventure that can only be experienced when tattooing and would become a reason to enjoy your results. Many who get inked take pride in the pain they undergo and seeing people using a numbing agent would put others in angst.
- It is temporary – As the cream only works for a few hours reapplication becomes necessary for a constant reduced pain experience.
- It doesn’t work for everyone – It is not necessary that the numbing cream that you have been advised to use would work effectively. It could be reactionary and cause allergies and irritation or not at all effective. So extreme care should be taken when buying such products. A client could put the tattoo artist at fault if the cream doesn’t work and ask for a refund unreasonably.
- Damage the tattoo– This is one thing that the tattoo artists are fearful of, damaging the tattoo itself!
- Takes a lot of time – From applying the cream to washing it off before getting tattooed, the process demands time and money. A minimum of 45-60 min and even extended to 90 min is required for the cream to function properly. So, telling your tattoo artist to apply the cream and then wanting to get inked would prove to be difficult and would interfere with the whole tattooing experience.
So, rather than using numbing cream, you can look into various means of reducing the pain.
- Choice of the area – It is necessary to strategically choose the area of the body you want to be tattooed. An area which is fleshy like your inner thighs, arms, stomach, calves and breast can cause greater pain. So, if it is hard for you to endure pain, select a less sensitive area to get inked.
- Prepare yourself -It can be overwhelming for the first time so it is better to prepare yourself physically and mentally. Have a good diet and sleep before going to your tattoo artist. It would prevent dizziness and would allow you to enjoy the process! Moreover, if you want to apply the numbing agent remember that it won’t make your tattooing experience completely pain-free.
- Communication – If getting inked is something you have long desired but have been fearful of, remember that communication is key. Tattoo artists are here to guide you with every step and do a great job of making you feel calm while you get tattooed. Don’t hesitate to take a break in between to hydrate yourself!
But there are chances that even after being well aware of these prerequisites, one won’t feel motivated enough to not use numbing cream. As mentioned, the pain is subjective and while a needle can lead to a small flinch, it has the capability of causing misery to its clients as well, going to the extent of being fearful of the very idea of getting inked rather than it being painful. So, a tattoo numbing cream would be a great means of fighting those fears to get the tattoo you always wished to have!
Best Tattoo Numbing Cream
Following is the list curated for you to look into the various high-quality tattoo numbing creams that you can use before getting inked.
Ebanel 5% Lidocaine Topical Numbing Cream Maximum Strength 1.35 Oz, Numb520 Pain Relief Cream Anesthetic Cream Infused with Aloe Vera, Vitamin E, Lecithin, Allantoin, Secured with Child Resistant Cap
The cream contains 5% lidocaine that gives temporary relief from pain, soreness or itchiness. The process incipits within 5 mins and can last up to 1 hour. Its infusion with Aloe Vera and Vitamin E provides much smoother skin. It is odour free and isn’t greasy as it is a water-based numbing cream that allows for easy application rather than creating a mess. It can also be used to relieve any minor wounds or insect bites. The product is animal cruelty-free and has no harsh chemicals meaning it is hypoallergic and its GMP (Good manufacturing practices) certification proves that. Make sure to do a test patch to assess the required waiting period.
Dr Numb 5% Lidocaine Topical Anesthetic Numbing Cream for Pain Relief, Maximum Strength with Vitamin E for Real-Time Relieves of Local Discomfort, Itching, Pain, Soreness or Burning – 10g (1)
Numb is a predominant product amongst the appliers of tattoo numbing cream. It is made up of 5% lidocaine that provides relief from burn, muscle pain and soreness. Its hyperallergic and fast absorbing capabilities make the cream effective and provide real-time relief. The product has gained the trust of various customers, anaesthetises and health professionals for being non-greasy and odourless, thus a perfect means of reducing your pain while getting inked. One of the best tattoo numbing cream.
Tattoo Numbing Cream Before Tattoo, 6-8 Hours Painless Numbing Cream Tattoo(1.06oz)
A perfect cream for beginners who are still reluctant to get inked out of fear of pain. One has to apply the cream on the respective skin for 30-50 minutes wrapped in plastic wrap. Remove the excess if there is and experience a cooling sensation. It doesn’t burn the skin and is an effective product to numb the surface to reduce pain. However, some customers have experienced the ineffectiveness of the cream as needling led to further pain rather than subsiding it. Some customers have also complained about the effectiveness of the cream being restricted to only a small period rather than hours. A perfect means of seeing its effectiveness is by taking a test patch by rubbing a bit of the bit by using gloves and then covering it with a band-aid. If you notice less sensitivity, then the product has worked. If you are looking for a numbing cream for tattoo then this is best choice. Best painless tattoo numbing cream to use.
A favourite product amongst tattoo artists, DermaChange Shingles are made from all-natural ingredients and is perfect if you have sensitive skin. It can be applied to all skin types. The presence of manuka honey and aloe vera nourishes and moisturises the layer that maintains the skin’s pH balance while providing a soothing effect. Apply the cream on the required area preferred 4-6 times a day for maximum benefit.
New Numb Skin Numbing Cream 5% Lidocaine Topical Anesthetic– Fast Acting Tattoo Numbing Cream for Deep Pain Relief & Numbing Cream for Microneedling/Piercing/Microblading/Laser Hair Removal (1 Tube)
Numbskin’s anaesthetics cream allows you to get your favourite tattoo with reduced pain. Its 5% lidocaine cream is the reason that leads to reduced pain, lasting up to 4 hours on any part of your body. Thus, it allows you to complete your tattoo within hours without a constant spraying numbing agent. The best part is that the products are cruelty-free and haven’t been tested on animals. Moreover, it can be applied before laser hair removal and piercing, microblading and waxing.
Deeveeant Numbing Cream Lidocaine Anesthetic (2oz/56g) Topical Pain Relief – Tattoos, Laser, Waxing, Microblading, Microneedling USA Made – Child Resistant Cap
While the majority of the products have a percentage of lidocaine, Deeveeant’s numbing cream is a build-up of Triple-Dip of botanicals including, aloe vera, jojoba and tea tree with the numbing agent. The use of botanical formulas and being water-based allows the product to be non-oily and non-irritation and is eco-friendly without creating any mess. Moreover, the numbing agent deadens the pain receptors for 2 hours and thus, is durable. Thus, get your tattoos without being anxious if it would hurt. Just spread the clear skin and wrap it with plastic to keep the cream from drying. Then remove the cream without any hassle. Aside from tattooing, it can be applied before waxing, microneedle and microblading. While extreme measures are taken regarding its packaging, an extra child-resistant cap has been installed for protection from accidental leaks while simultaneously keeping the product fresh.
RectiCare Anorectal Lidocaine 5% Cream: Topical Numbing Cream for Treatment of Hemorrhoids & Other Anorectal Disorders – 30g Tube
RectiCare numbing cream contains 5% lidocaine cream with local anaesthetics when applied numbs the respective area. Aside from numbing, it reduces burning and itching sensation and any discomfort.
Following are the products that you can also look into as aftercare to not cause any further irritation or reaction while simultaneously reducing the redness.
Whiskers® TattooAftercare® Healing Balm with Vitamin A and D, Natural Herbs and Oils, Tattoo Enhancer, Ointment, Moisturizer, Lotion – No Parabens, No Petroleum Jelly, Not Tested on Animals (25gm)
While applying a numbing agent is necessary to reduce pain, aftercare is equally essential for healing faster while simultaneously enhancing the tattoo itself. It is 100% natural and made up of essential oils like Vitamins A and D. Many customers have mentioned that using the cream over the tattoo made it darker and darker like a new tattoo. However, many have commented on the product being overpriced.
After Inked Tattoo Moisturizer Cream & Aftercare Lotion Balm 3 Fluid Ounce Tube (1-Pack)
Another aftercare cream that you can look into is the After Inked Tattoo Moisturizer cream. It is made up of grape seed oil that keeps the skin hydrating while simultaneously, keeping the tattoo radiant and smooth. The cream is vegan and non-petroleum based thus, safe on all skin types. Gently wash your tattoo with soap and warm water. Apply the cream over the entire tattoo until the lotion isn’t visible. Use the cream every day to keep your tattoos natural and avoid touching or scratching your tattoo and stay away from direct sunlight.
So don’t worry and confine yourself from not getting the tattoo you always desired. Introspect is the reason that is motivating you to get inked over your body. The tattoo numbing cream would do its job of reducing pain however, it is advisable for you to check the product personally and not solely on the data given by the article. A special emphasis should be on understanding different means for applying tattoo numbing cream to get the tattoo without any worry!
Best Moisture Wicking Underwear